Civil Field and Lab Technicians - Terrace
Who we are:
Metro Testing + Engineering (formerly Canadian Construction Materials and Engineering, or CCMET) was established in 1987 in Burnaby, BC to provide the materials testing of concrete, asphalt, and soil for the construction industry. Since then, we have grown to include a diverse scope of services that now includes specialty testing, materials engineering, geotechnical engineering, environmental consulting, concrete restoration, and quality assurance certification throughout BC and Alberta.
We have been market leaders for over three decades and we continue to work hard at being the first choice in materials testing and engineering for our clients.
Who we are looking for:
Metro Testing + Engineering Ltd. (Terrace) is seeking experienced Materials Testing Technician / Technologist to perform onsite materials testing. The ideal applicant will be self-motivated and goal-oriented and will have high standards of ethics.
The scope of our work is to provide third party independent sampling and testing of construction materials for quality control/quality assurance purposes.
- Lab Soil/Aggregate testing (Hydro, Sieve, Proctor, etc.)
- Field and Lab Concrete Testing as per CCIL/CSA
- Soils Compacting Testing as per ASTM
- Traveling to local and remote construction sites
- Review lab and field reports
- Onsite trouble shooting of construction materials projects
- Project Management
- Proposal writing and business development
- Other duties as applicable
- 4 + years of relevant experience in Canada
- Civil/Geotechnical Diploma or equivalent
- Must pass CCIL written and practical examinations (training and documentation provided)
- Must pass First Aid Level 1 and H2S Alive courses
- Strong computer skills (Word / Excel)
- Strong written and verbal English communication skills
- Valid Canadian Driver’s License and an up to date driving abstract will be required
- Willing to work overtime and weekends as required
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to develop and maintain positive professional relationships
- Able to read and comprehend construction drawings
- Ability to multi task between multiple projects concurrently as necessary
- Must be physically fit and able to lift heavy objects
- CCIL certification
- Mechanical aptitude
- Enthusiastic, Dependable and Organized
What we offer
Aside from a supportive, fun environment full of opportunities for professional growth and development, Metro Testing & Engineering offers competitive salaries, a comprehensive benefits plan, and a moving allowance with subsidized temporary housing if needed.
“Having never been to Fort St. John, I was pleasantly surprised at how welcoming all the staff at Northern Geo (currently Metro Testing & Engineering (Fort St. John) Ltd.) was. The support that this company has offered me has gone beyond the job – it truly is a family where everyone invests in one another and helps each other grow. With Northern Geo I gained experience and certifications in multiple material fields. I was exposed to many different industries and given a chance to prove myself in many different roles. My days were a mix of fun and business, as I was able to travel Northern BC to numerous job sites and experience the sights and attractions along the way.”
“In my four years since starting with Northern Geo (currently Metro Testing & Engineering (Fort St. John) Ltd.) as a technician, I have been provided many opportunities. I’ve been able to work in various geographic locations around British Columbia, on wide range of construction projects, with diversely talented professionals. I have a learned a lot about this industry from a team of people that have come to feel like family, and I have grown to truly love the work that I do. Northern Geo has given me the opportunity to take on more responsibilities, learning various aspects of geotechnical and materials work, both in the lab and in the field. There is a great sense of accomplishment being able to see how the work I am doing directly affects the projects I am working on. I am looking forward to where my career here will go.”