Who we are:
Metro Testing + Engineering (formerly Canadian Construction Materials and Engineering, or CCMET) was established in 1987 in Burnaby, BC to provide the materials testing of concrete, asphalt, and soil for the construction industry. Since then, we have grown to include a diverse scope of services that now includes specialty testing, materials engineering, geotechnical engineering, environmental consulting, concrete restoration, and quality assurance certification throughout BC and Alberta. We have over 230 employees across 13 divisions who are engineers, technologists, scientists, technicians and professionals in their field to deliver the service, support, and solutions to our clients’ construction projects in the residential/commercial/industrial, oil-and-gas, mining, and transportation market sectors. We have been market leaders for over three decades and we continue to work hard at being the first choice in materials testing and engineering for our clients.
Who we are looking for:
Metro Testing + Engineering is looking for a motivated individual to join our environmental division and deliver outstanding service to our clients in the role of environmental scientist/engineer. The successful candidate will be part of a dynamic team in a flexible, collaborative work environment and will contribute through performing fieldwork, data collection, data tabulation, and reporting.
About The Role
- You will be working closely with our Project Managers and senior field staff on an ongoing basis in the following:
- Projects related to waste diversion programs. Responsibilities would include fieldwork and reporting associated with waste composition studies, monitoring, maintenance, evaluation, and troubleshooting.
- Contaminated sites projects, e.g., Stage 1 and 2 PSIs and DSIs. Responsibilities would include reporting and fieldwork associated with groundwater and vapour monitoring and sampling, soil sampling, test pitting, borehole drilling, groundwater monitoring well installation, and remedial excavations.
- Environmental projects, including environmental impact assessments, riparian area assessments and environmental monitoring of construction projects. Associated fieldwork would include turbidity testing, surface water sampling, ecological field surveys and fish and wildlife salvaging.
- You will contribute to business development activities including the preparation of project proposals and presentations, and direct client liaison.
- You will be responsible for developing and adhering to health and safety plans and following our internal quality processes and standard operating procedures.
- You will be based in our Burnaby office and must be willing to travel to project locations, as needed and occasionally on short notice.
- This is a full-time position. During peak activity, there will be some overtime required, and work hours may extend beyond 9-5. Overtime can be either paid or banked.
To excel in this role, you will possess the following:
- Either a bachelor's degree or technical diploma in an environmentally focused field.
- One to two years of experience in environmental consulting will be an asset; however, new graduates will also be considered.
- Registered (or eligible to register) EIT/GIT, BIT, A.Ag, AScTT, EPt.
- Excellent verbal, written, organizational and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to problem solve and work effectively with environmental subcontractors (e.g., drillers and excavator operators).
- Strong work ethic with a genuine interest in waste management and contaminated sites fieldwork, including the willingness to work outside in adverse weather conditions for potentially long periods at a time and/or in potentially remote locations.
- A self-starter with the ability and willingness to learn and hit the ground running on a wide variety of projects throughout BC.
- Proficient with computers and various software programs (Microsoft Office, AutoCAD, ArcGIS, gINT).
- A valid BC Class 5 Drivers' License.
- Experience in solid waste management, environmental site assessment and remediation, environmental construction monitoring, and/or environmental impact assessment would be an asset.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.
Metro Testing + Engineering (formerly Canadian Construction Materials and Engineering, or CCMET) was established in 1987 in Burnaby, BC to provide the materials testing of concrete, asphalt, and soil for the construction industry. Since then, we have grown to include a diverse scope of services that now includes specialty testing, materials engineering, geotechnical engineering, environmental consulting, concrete restoration, and quality assurance certification throughout BC and Alberta.
We have been market leaders for over three decades and we continue to work hard at being the first choice in materials testing and engineering for our clients. Our Environmental Division provides the following services:
- Waste Management and Sustainability
- Contaminated Sites Investigation and Remediation
- Underground and Above Ground Storage Tank Management
- Riparian Area Management Assessment
- First Nations’ Services
- Environmental Compliance Audits
- Environmental Management Systems
- Licensing, Permits, and Government Approval
Metro Testing + Engineering is committed to the retention and growth of our employees; we provide competitive compensation packages, performance incentives, and career opportunities. We are dedicated to providing a vibrant safe and progressive work environment for our employees, providing career incentives and opportunities for growth.